Monday, December 22, 2008

The $129 dinosaur


I took Justin to see Santa in Larimer Square yesterday. Right when we got to Santa, Justin decided he needed to go potty first. I think he was a bit nervous. After a quick trip to Starbucks, he marched right up there and sat on Santa's lap. Santa said, "My, how you've grown since last year!" He asked Justin if he brushes his teeth everyday, if he always eats his vegetables, and if helps his mommy cook dinner. Justin answered yes to everything. Then Santa asked him what would he like for Christmas this year.
Justin said without hesitation, "A remote control dinosaur." There is a very specific dinosaur at Target that costs $129. Santa said that his elves do make this toy, and that he'll try to bring to him, but that if he can't he'll bring him something else he'll really like.
I've already finished shopping for Justin. Me nor anyone else, has come close to getting him this toy. Should I do it? Does a five-year-old need a $130 toy? Does he need to learn a lesson about the impact of a poor economy? Or should Santa come through for such a sweet little guy? Even this morning he was reminding me that we need to leave two cookies and a glass of milk for Santa, and two carrots for his reindeer.

No comments: