Friday, November 21, 2008

Ghost hunting


Searching the Denver Public Library catalogue online, I found a box of manuscripts belonging to Mrs. Tabor. I just finished reading, Silver Dollar, published in the late 1930s. The author had a real nasty tone towards Mr. H.A.W Tabor. I have been mulling over books and it seems that the later the publication date, the more favorable the characters of the Tabor Tragedy. At the library is box of Baby Doe's hand written notes, recipes, and even her books, newspaper clippings, and even her bible. The box is kept in a double vault on the 4th floor. To see the box and its contence, I had to fill out a form stating who I was, my affiliation, and show a valid government issued ID. Then I had to put all of my things; purse, coat, even pens and paper into a locker and go sit in a special room while the staff retrieved the box. I could only look at the box in the room. The contense were divided into folders, roughly in chronological order. Among the most interesting things were the wedding announcement dripping in silver, IOUs for the Matchless Mine, and printing of Silver Tabor's book. The most interesting this I found was Baby Doe's bible. There was a verse 4:14 that said something about God not punishing daughter for being harlots and prostitutes because it is men who encourage them, and it take two to tango or something to that effect. Mrs. Tabor outlined that verse, and wrote in pencil, "the men, too."
I visted the Tabor's grave at Mount Olivet Cemetary, and was suprised to find the Agusta's son Maxcy is buried right at Fairmont. Jacob and I had a hard time finding that grave because he is buried in his wife's family plot.








No comments: